Wednesday, April 17, 2002

RC Cola Clock

Sunday has come, we each rise at dawn,
Smell the summer breeze and the fresh cut lawn.

We each comb our hair and put on our best,
Maybe a new suit with even a vest.

Daddy cranks the engine as we climb in the car,
To Grandmother's church, it isn't very far.

The windows are raised as the preaching begins,
We hear about Jesus and think about our sins.

The heat of the day into the room will creep,
but Momma's soft fanning will put me to sleep.

As we hear about the Bible and the Solid Rock,
I look to the wall for that faithful RC Cola Clock.

It's five after twelve, and next look it is ten,
I listen intently, "Just as I Am" would soon begin.

The preaching is finished, the singing all done,
But now Granddaddy's prayer has just begun.

Bless Momma, Bless Pappa, Forgive each their sin,
I stare at the clock waiting for "amen."

Today the old church stands, yet I am all grown,
I go back home and look, the clock is now gone.

The memories are with me, and comfort they bring,
The hot summer days and cool breezes of spring.